My whole life is an experiment . . . sometimes I get surprising results. - C Erdmann

Some great Blogs I visit

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Update on my angel shrine doll

My little guy is really taking on his own sweet character don't you think? I'm having so much fun and very excited with the whole process. It's much easier than I thought it would be.

If you've seen my previous post then you'll know that I'm doing a workshop by Daryle Cook on his new blog Cloth and Clay Doll Makers on how to make an Angel Shrine Doll using paperclay and other mixed media. ....and it's a very generous free workshop!!

I've now finished the first 4 videos and eagerly waiting for the next which I'm hoping will be tomorrow!
You may remember that in the first photo all that was showing on the head was the bead eyes and the nose. You can see how far I've gone now.
I love the way he looks(to me anyway) that he is or is about to say something.  :)

 We deal with arms in the next class!

I think I've decided that mixed media in altered style might be the thing I enjoy doing best. In a previous post I said I would show you a couple more, that I had been making at that time, in my next post, but that never eventuated so here they are now.

I love steampunk but don't get to make enough of it. I've combined pretty and steampunk to make this 'different' take on the style!

 Circus themes have become recent favourites of mine. This piece took a wee while but it was fun to work it out and make it, though it's not quite finished yet.

This final piece is a a fabric sailing boat that I made using an Ann Wood pattern.
Ann's pattern is to make a papier mache boat (with three different sizes included) but clever clogs here decided that she could do it in fabric instead! ;^)

On a final note, you may have noticed that I've managed to post quite a bit for moi just lately? I'm actually feeling much better than I was a few weeks back and feeling that I want to 'do' stuff. But more on that later. A huge heartfelt thank you to all those sweetest of sweet readers who left me such wonderfully supportive comments. Love to you all!
Thank you for reading down this far! ♥

Pull up a chair. Take a taste. Come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious.  ~  Ruth Reichl

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Do you want to make an Angel Shrine Doll?!!

To be honest when I saw the post about a workshop for an angel shrine doll on Woodstown Whimsies I thought I must have been reading it all wrongly because the wording was making it sound like the workshop was going to be no!!!!! All to make a gorgeous paperclay doll on an altered shrine, with full instructions on video to boot!
While keeping my excitement down, I continued to read and then after visiting the new blogsite and  reading comments by a couple of other readers, I realised that it was in fact FREE!!

Cloth and Clay Doll Makers
I would normally find it hard to afford these sort of workshops/tutorials and I was so excited and amazed at the generosity that Daryle was showing.
So I just had to share it all with you and if you're interested in learning how to make one of these gorgeously whimsical pieces you know where to go now!
I came to know about Daryle Cook through his beautiful Santos Doll that I found in a Prims Magazine by Stampington.

The workshop is broken down into about 8 videos and in this first one he shows how to start the paperclay head, add the beads for the eyes and add the nose. 
Not bad for a beginner I think. Room for improvement indeed but of course that will come with time.
I need to shape the head a bit more.
Next video will be building the eyebrows.

 It's silly how excited I am about making this project and usually when I see something I'd like to make I will bookmark it and tell myself I'll come back later when I have more time or feel more like it or I've got everything together etc etc.....then more often than not it never gets made.   :(

Well this time I surprised myself by getting everything together this morning after I found that Daryle had put up the first video and started making it straight away! I love his work and look forward to making myself something half as good!
I'll be using the strange little wooden box for the shrine for the doll and I figure by the time I'm finished you won't recognise it!
I just hope it's not too big. Still, I have time to find something else if I wish. I love the wooden clock house that he has found for his piece. Just the right size and shape.  :)

 I will post photos of my progress and hope to have a really lovely piece to be proud of.
Just have to find the patience to wait for the next video!!!

Thought maybe you'd like to see the fun little dolls I made recently. 

We crafty girls were going out for Laura's birthday last week and I thought she'd like the little rabbit one as I know she likes strange and weird little things! Hmmm......  ;D  Sorry Laura Lou!  x♥

 They're only about 8" high and feel quite nice to hold in one hand, and the other girls said I should make more and list them so made the second one, but not sure how many more there will be....
I love the little cat one I have to say, but then I am a cat lady at heart!

Enthusiasm is excitement with inspiration, motivation, and a pinch of creativity.  ~  Bo Bennett

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...