My whole life is an experiment . . . sometimes I get surprising results. - C Erdmann

Monday, November 24, 2014

A sweet tutorial and a few things I've been making

I found a lovely little mixed media and fabric collage tutorial on one of my most fav blogs Apple and Apricot. The owner of this blog is Wendy and she is one of the most generous and kindhearted people I've met online! 
Anyhoo I decided to give it a try. Most of you probably know that I already dabble in these sort of collages but Wendy had built hers up onto a smallish stretched canvas board which she had painted very nicely around the outside border.


I usually make mine on thick fabric backings so I thought I'd like to try it coz I loved how her's looked with the paint surrounding the collage. Wendy used a very gorgeous image of a painting from the 1700's and she very kindly posted the image for us to use. But as I only had some very small 4x4" boards on hand I decided to do 3 in a Sisters theme as I already had some beautiful graphics from Gail over at Shabby Cottage Studio. (Ahem....you might now be wondering where the 3rd is? Ha! Never got to it!)  :)

I think I ended up using too much paint though, but still, I like the finished look. Not sure whether they will hang, as Wendy's does or be used as book covers or something!! It will be a big surprise, even to moi! 
Thanks Wendy!  ♥




I've been on a circus bent of late. Not that I've got many pieces finished to show for it but I have a few more in various stages of progress.

Cirque de Paris
Bit of a challenge was this one, but I enjoyed the process. There was a lot of graphics printing out and much glueing being done on and around the large wooden block that I started out with!  :)
The cute guy on top was printed on canvas paper, sewn around and lightly stuffed. Very pleased with him. He might make a great tutorial one day actually, but maybe printed on fabric and attached to a stick, stuck into a much smaller block with simple graphics. Any thoughts welcome!  :)


This is happy fun piece made with four different clowns on the four sides. I found it fun to mix the bodies up to see how it looked. I used 4cm blocks for this one and a moulded plastic piece for the umbrella/Big Top.


This piece was made in basically the same way as the stack of clowns. I'm loving the wee pinkeep in the vintage metal thimble that I made up for the vignette on top! Again, four different dress forms/mannequins.




The ballet slippers were just a fun thing I wanted to do after I saw some gorgeous pins on Pinterest of toddlers or babies in vintage baby shoes/boots!
I remembered I had these old slippers and thought they'd look sweet with an older girl inside them.
I've already sold the pink one! Noice!



That's enough for this post I think. Don't want to swamp you!
I'll show you another circus piece, a boat and a steampunk heart next time.  :)



I smile because you're my sister, I laugh because you can't do anything about it! ~ Unknown

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful job you have made of these collages Pam.
    Yes that was lovely of Wendy to share her tutorial and you have really done her justice using that lovely painted background with the contrasting softness of the fabrics surrounding two beautiful images from William Bouguereau.
    Lovely artwork Pam and those embellished ballet shoes are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! will inspect the latest when I next see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Pam! I don't what I like most. The slippers are so sweet. I love the images inside the slippers. The blocks are fun and I too love the pinkeep on the thimble. Your circus tents are fun. Happy to see your creations. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh your collages have turned out so gorgeous dear Pam!! Pinned :) I think you did a great job on the painting. It fits beautifully with the fabrics and images. And I love love the ballet slippers, they're so gorgeous too and love the happy colours and the images inside. And also the beautiful circus and blocks creations, can't wait to see the other things you made! Thank you so much dear for your sweet comment and for sharing my link :) Big hugs xxx Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty! Love everything! Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow lots of busyness......love your medium and clever creativity. Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment. I read every one of them, and will either respond with a return email or leave a comment here or at your blog, if you have one.

~~"Dare to Dream"
~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...